In this post I’m sharing a quick video showing how to make a book out of a single sheet of paper — no other supplies necessary. Warning: these books are so addicting to make!
Step by step:
- Most any paper will work for these little books. I’ve used watercolor paper (both 90# and 140#, I think 300# might be too thick but I haven’t tried it yet), Bristol paper, cardstock, etc. I’d suggest practicing with copy paper/printer paper.
- Start by folding your paper in half, I like to fold the longer side first.
- Fold the ends towards the middle — this is key so that your paper has some “give” in it, especially thicker paper. You can vary the size of your book pages by the number of folds that you make on the longest side.
- Then fold your paper in half the other way.
- Tear or cut your paper down the middle longways, stopping at the last crease — otherwise you’ll end up tearing your book in two. 🙂
- Fold your book, starting with the first page and working your way around.
- A hair tie works great for keeping your book closed. I’m always on the lookout for cool hair ties!
- You might want to use a bone folder or the back of a spoon to get a really good crease when working with heavier papers.
- These books are great to take hiking!
I’d love to see your books — tag me on instagram (@sideoats) to share!