I love tinkering with my palette and switching it up for the seasons. I put together this fall/winter version in my Art Toolkit Folio so that I could play with lots of reds, oranges and yellows plus have some moody darks and easy ways to mix snow. I also tried to have transparent and opaque versions of colors so that I’d have plenty of options.
Here’s the list along with some notes:
DS = Daniel Smith, WN = Winsor & Newton, S = Schmincke
- DS Azo yellow (PY151) – a beautiful transparent yellow!
- WN Cadmium yellow pale (PY35) – I’ve had this tube forever — before I knew much about cadmiums and how toxic they are. After I use this tube up I’ll be looking for a replacement — let me know if you have any suggestions.
- S Transparent orange (PO71) – the clearest orange I’ve found — it’s so hard to mix this!
- DS Quinacridone gold (PO48, PY150)
- DS Raw Sienna (PBr7)
- DS Chromium green oxide (PG17) – this was on my palette a few years back. I found it in my drawer and it had to come out and play since it makes a wonderful jadeite color when mixed with phthalo green — for much less $$$!
- DS Phthalo green (PG7)
- WN Cobalt turquoise light (DS Cobalt teal blue PG50) – one of my all time favorite colors — read more about PG50 here.
- S Cerulean blue hue (PW4, PB15:3) – I had some issues with phthalo blue over the summer, it started acting weird (more on that in another post). I’m trying this one with the hopes that the white pigment will help mitigate the issue.
- WN Cobalt blue (PB28)
- WN Smalt (PV15) – this color is great for distant mountains and flowers with lovely granulation.
- WN French ultramarine (PB29)
- DS Indigo (PB60, PBk6) – long-time readers may notice that my favorite indanthrone blue is off the palette — but it’s not really since there’s some here in indigo!
- DS Van Dyck brown (PBr7) – first time on my main palette — I was looking for a shortcut dark brown and this does the trick!
- DS Quinacridone rose (PV19)
- DS Quinacridone coral (PR209)
- DS Organic vermillion (WN scarlet lake PR188)
- DS Perylene red (PR178)
- DS Venetian red (PR101)
- DS Piemontite genuine (PIE!) – I’m doing a lightfastness test on this color so it might get swapped out — but it’s here for now. I just love this color, and I found a full tube of it in the drawer that J got me for Christmas one year. Time to use it up!
- DS Transparent red oxide (PR101)
Here are some swatches — click on a photo to see it larger:
Let me know if you have any questions! — Lisa