I spotted this Tumuarta sketchbook on Amazon and noticed that it was 25% cotton and just had to give it a try! Here’s my review now that I’ve finished filling it up.
- That 25% cotton really does make a difference! I got great granulation in my washes, brighter colors, and no warping even with multiple layers and lots of water and paint!
- The price is right — it’s currently $11!
- It has a ribbon to mark the page! So many smaller sketchbooks don’t have a ribbon and I always miss them. It also has a pocket.
- It has perforated pages, so you can tear one out if you don’t like a page or you want to give someone a sketch. I haven’t tried tearing one out yet, but I think it will work fine. It also makes it easy to paint across pages if you’re doing a two page spread.
- The paper has a bit of texture to it, but pens still worked fine.
- Masking tape peels off without ripping.
- The biggest con for me is that it’s a super tight fit for my Pocket Art Toolkit — it’s just a little too thick darn. I ended up just tossing it in my pack instead of trying to jam it in there.
- It has a bit of an odd smell. I think it’s the sizing? It didn’t really bother me, it was just noticeable.
The verdict: I would definitely try this sketchbook brand again!
Here’s a flip-thru of the sketchbook that I posted on Instagram:
And here are some photos –click on a photo to see it larger:
- Find the palette and sketch kit shown in my photos here at ArtToolkit. You can use code LISAFAN10 for 10% off your purchase of an ArtToolkit, palette, or mixing pans, and I’ll receive a small commission at no charge to you if you do!
- Find the Tumuarta sketchbook here on Amazon (affiliate link). I think I’m going to try this square size next!
- Watercolor in Nature by Rosalie Haizlett.
- I also enjoy using these sketchbooks:
Let me know if you have any questions! — Lisa